Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Adele...Rolling in the Deep

Adele.tv

I am a sucker for the British soul singer. I believe Amy Winehouse's Back to Black is one of the top 10 albums of all time. The retro-feel is "timeless" and that sultry voice gets me every time. I have a very wide attraction to music. But I listened to Amy's album on repeat for about 6 months straight. It was by far the most played album on my iPod since I bought my iPod 5 years ago. The only thing that has come close to it since, is Jay-Z's Blueprint 3, which was mostly because I was doing a lot of traveling at the time.

UNTIL...the release of Adele's 21. There was so much hype leading up to the release mostly because it was released in Europe weeks earlier and was killing. But it more than met expectations in the U.S. and on my iPod. I fall in love with music, the same way girls fall for men, there is a spark. Adele lit up my world with her amazing song writing, or what someone I met on Fat Tuesday called, depressing songs. I guess it depends on where you meet the music. Adele's amazing lyrics and smooth tones, if heard as you are scraping yourself off the "pavement" from a bad breakup, could be bad news. But, if you are looking at that last heartache from a distance, damn does she hit the spot.

At first glance, you think "Someone like You" is as good as it will get, until the beat of "Rolling in the Deep" hits your chest. The strong, hypnotizing beat gives me a down south, almost bluesy feel until it grows into the "singing at the top of your lungs" chorus and then you know, Adele now owns your soul. The beat is so strong and encompassing, I felt like that scene in "Beetlejuice" at the dining table and everybody is dancing uncontrollably to the "Banana Boat" song, Adele just takes over. And then the album progressed to, "He Won't Go" and it was official, Adele would be on repeat until further notice. This song has such a strong R&B feel. It is unfortunate that I can't quite understand what the song is about. Not sure if I am supposed to support my new friend in "sticking it out" with this guy or if it is NOT quite worth her time.


Only thing better than Adele's amazing music is her fabulous British wit. I admittedly LOVE a British accent. So I am slightly biased, but she gives good interview! Her Chelsea Handler interview was one of the funniest I've ever seen.

So far in 2011, I am dying for Bruno Mars, Marsha Ambrosius, and Rihanna (for pop fun!), but Adele is ruling my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment