Friday, March 11, 2011

A Love Story: A Girl and Her Career

Bad Robot Productions
Before I could celebrate my 27th birthday, I spent days trying to figure out what turning 27 meant without kids and without a ring on the finger. Luckily, I remembered it is not 1962 and my sister is married with two kids, so pressure released immediately. I am an East Coast city girl, and I am focused on my career. I am a part of a generation that is allowed to be career-focused. We work hard AND we play hard, the balance our parents were never able to find. Not that we have "the balance" down either, but I don't think we really care that much at this age.

Getting a new Netflix envelope in the mail is like receiving a gift, mostly because I never know what is coming next. My Netflix queue is just about the only unorganized list in my life. This time it was "Morning Glory" with Rachel McAdams. She plays a very ambitious 28 year old who moves into a nearly impossible job. With all odds against her and dealing with VERY difficult personalities and egos, finds a way to succeed.

SPOILER ALERT:


 
There is a scene near the end of the movie, where she literally runs out of a dream job interview and across Central Park to get to her love. It was a very typical scene in a movie, someone tearing out of the most important situation of their life and running across the city to find the love of their life before they board a train or plane or into the arms of someone else. The only difference for this girl was she was running to take her career back. She had created a family with these difficult egos at this broken job and had made something real out of it. She went back to claim it. It sounds completely corny, but I was so motivated by this. My career is #1 right now, until the time comes for it to be #2 or #3 or #4. But that day, is not to-day.

No comments:

Post a Comment