Monday, August 31, 2009

Marriage...Its Growing on Me


Martha Stewart Weddings

I have generally not been a huge fan of marriage. Well, it terrifies me. I am from a family full of divorces. My grandparents were the only truly successful marriage I have seen, unfortunately, my grandma died far too early in life. I don't believe that life is easy and full of beautiful roses, nor do I think they had a perfect marriage for 40 years, but I know they were happy and loved one another. The other side of me is a hopeless romantic. I have been with my boyfriend for five years next month and after eight months of living together, the idea of marriage is growing on me.

I heard a few months back from this lawmaker in some European country proposing that all marriages have a seven year expiration date and then you have to renew it. I thought, this is a pretty good idea. If nothing else, it makes you reevaluate your relationship and do what is necessary to make it work. Some marriages would likely end after the seven years, but I think many more would renew. Now, this is not likely here in America or probably anywhere, but it was a creative idea, which is more than I can say about divorce.

I read Cup of Jo religiously and she has been discussing her engagement and wedding plans for months now. She got married this past weekend and has left for her honeymoon. While gone, she has enlisted many of my favorite bloggers to fill-in for her writing about their secrets to a happy marriage. Today, Grace from
Design*Sponge wrote some great tips:

Grace + AC's secrets to a happy marriage:

1. Talk it out: No matter how angry you are, talking always helps. I wasn't a big talker before meeting Aaron (I was a big "slam the door"-er) and he taught me the value of talking through any and all difficult situations.

2. Support each other's dreams: AC loves to play poker and guitar, and he also likes mixed martial arts. If he wanted to leave his job to pursue any of those, I would support him 100%. And I know he'd do the same for me. I realized a few years back that no matter how good the salary or benefits, if your partner isn't happy, even the best job is the wrong job. If you're both truly happy, then material things really do become less important.

3. Go on adventures: Whether it's a scooter ride to Coney Island or a backpacking trip out west, remember to experience new things together. AC and I are complete opposites, but we both love to try new things, which keeps us growing together.

No comments:

Post a Comment