Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Reconnecting with Old Friends

I am not the best at keeping in touch with old friends and I am someone who seems to have a lot of "old friends". When I graduated high school, I had very few friends that I stayed in touch with. I left Austin for college in the DFW area and many of my friends stayed in Austin, few attended college right away, so we had little in common. I had a huge group of friends my senior year, but not many had the base to be long-lasting friendships. There was one friend that I did remain in contact with all through college, but once I moved to DC life quickly got in the way.

I have spoken with her sporadically over the years, the last time we connected was Christmas time. We had made plans to meet while I was in Texas, but it never ended up happening. Last time we spoke she told me she was getting married, which was expected since she had been dating her fiance for many many years, and she would keep me posted. Well, I had the date circled on my calendar, but no invitation arrived.

Today, I decided to search her on Facebook, since for some reason she hadn't had a Facebook account in the past. I searched her several times before, but this time she came up. I quickly sent a request for friendship and a few hours later she accepted. I took a few minutes to look over her page. She was married and further down on the page I discovered, she was also expecting her first baby. WOW. I was shocked.

Honestly, I have no clue why I became upset over this news. I am at the age where I find out about an old friend or acquaintance getting married and having a baby every day. I can only imagine that I am just upset that I am no longer a part of her life. I love her and she is definitely one of the closest relationships I ever had. I haven't had any major life occurrences yet, so I haven't had much to announce, but she would definitely be one of the people I would call when I do.

But, the time has come to write her an email to catch up and congratulate her on everything and hope that we are able to stay in touch. I would jump on a plane in a heart beat to make it for her shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment