Friday, September 4, 2009

Wait…You Mean that Isn't Normal Conversation

I received an email today from a political group that I am a member of, asking for all its supporters to post a message in support of the healthcare reform as their Facebook status. I had originally wanted to keep political discussions away from my blog, but simply put, that isn’t me. I live in DC because I am drawn to these types of debates. From a very early age, I have enjoyed controversial conversation. This got me thinking that DC has a culture based in completely inappropriate conversation, according to American norms. There are so many normal things that DC folks do everyday that are even considered disrespectful everywhere else, and all of these things can be found at happy hour or whatever “fill-in-the-blank” organization reception/mixer, a serious DC institution. DC is a social city and happy hour is where it all happens.

  • The first thing you will ask anyone the second you meet them is, “What do you do?” Now, most of Americans can think of about 5 questions that would be appropriate to ask before ever thinking about asking someone what they did for a living. But in DC, that is your identity. You can find out everything you need to know about a person with that one question. Where they work, political affiliation (usually, if not you judge them based on it anyways), how much money they probably make (at least a range) and what you can probably get from them. Now, I don’t condone the last one, but this is DC, you never know.
  • Political Discussions—I love discussing the top divisive topics of the week with a stranger. Religion and Politics are still the top things not to discuss with anyone outside of your family (and that may even be an issue), but in DC politics is king, why not? I do come from a family that encourages debate. I once had an hour-long conversation with my uncle about abortion. It got heated, as everything does in my clan, but at the end I knew he looked at me as an adult with a valid opinion for the first time in my life. I was no longer just the loud-mouthed 12-year old who he had disciplined countless times, I was an adult that he respected.

So, in normal fashion, I will post what I believe to be true.

"No one should die because they cannot afford health care, and no one should go broke because they get sick. If you agree, please post this as your status for the rest of the day."

No comments:

Post a Comment