Monday, September 21, 2009

True Blood



There is nothing hotter right now than vampires. I am not completely sure of the appeal, but I gave it a try. I have been catching up on Season 1 of True Blood with Netflix. We have HBO, so I am looking forward to watching Season 2 OnDemand.

So far, I am really liking the show. I like how they portray the vampires as an oppressed race of people who are just trying to live their lives, but are being discriminated against. At the same time, they do go around killing people, so I understand people's apprehension toward them. I have always loved Anna Paquin, she is one of my favorite actors. They have VERY attractive male characters in the show. AND, it is a "bit" provocative, but its HBO. If they weren't going to push the envelope it might as well be on TBS.

I am absolutely obsessed with New Orleans. I spent Thanksgiving there the year before Katrina hit and absolutely fell in love with the history of that amazing city. But it wasn't until Benjamin Button that I became completely obsessed with the history of New Orleans. I saw the movie for the first time this summer and bought 4 books on the history of Blacks in New Orleans immediately after. It was one of the only cities in America pre-Civil War, that Blacks could be truly successful. They didn't live completely "normal" lives, of course. But there are many Black families that were business owners, politicians, were accepted into society and that interested me greatly.

I do have one small complaint about the show though, the accents. Well, being from Texas, I am very familiar with the different types of southern accents. Anyone from the south knows that the different accents can be very similar, but you can ALWAYS tell someone from Lousiana, it could never be mistaken for something else. They have a deeper, longer drawl to their speech. It is definitely borderline "not english". They don't even say New Orleans, they say "Nawlins". But the characters on the show appear to have just done what they think a southern accent should sound like. I think they should do a little more work on that and then I will be fully roped in.

Plus, as I have stated before. HELLO! Sookie Stackhouse is the greatest name in the history of television.

No comments:

Post a Comment